Si Tjonat is a 1929 bandit film from the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). The silent film was directed by Nelson Wong and produced by Wong and Jo Eng Sek. It was shot in black and white and starred Ku Fung May and Herman Sim. Based on the novel (cover pictured) by F. D. J. Pangemanann, it follows an indigenous man who flees to Batavia (today Jakarta) and becomes a bandit after killing his fellow villager. After kidnapping an ethnic Chinese woman, he is defeated and brought to justice. The story had proved popular with ethnic Chinese readers and was often adapted to the stage by Betawi troupes as a lenong stage performance, but the film received mixed reviews. Although it was intended as a serial, no sequel was ever made; the production house, Batavia Motion Picture, closed soon afterwards. Several works in the same genre as Si Tjonat were released, including Si Pitoeng in 1931, which used the same director and star. The film has probably been lost. (Full article...)
BBC One-minute World News
Fast briefed every day.
- 'We haven't even begun to see the end': Fauci continues to warn Americans as White House tries to discredit him (1970-01-01 01:00)
- White House turns on Fauci as disaster grows out of aggressive state openings (2020-07-13 21:51)
- 'Atrocious': Adam Schiff reacts to attempt to discredit Fauci (2020-07-13 02:25)
- Body found at lake where 'Glee' actress Naya Rivera went missing (2020-07-13 20:05)
- Trump's commutation of Roger Stone's sentence is even worse than it looks (2020-07-13 19:27)
Source: Wikimedia Commons.
- 1260 – Livonian Crusade: Samogitian forces decisively defeated Teutonic knights and the Livonian Order at the Battle of Durbe.
- 1831 – Wallachian officials adopted Regulamentul Organic (cover shown), which engendered a period of unprecedented reforms that provided for the Westernization of the local society.
- 1942 – World War II: The 1st Filipino Infantry Regiment was converted from a battalion to accommodate a larger number of volunteers spurred on by the Japanese invasion of the Philippines.
- 2003 – French DGSE personnel aborted an operation to rescue Colombian politician Íngrid Betancourt from FARC guerrillas, later causing a political scandal when details were leaked to the press.
- Age of Earth: ~ 4.568 billion years
- World Population: 7.3 billion (July 2015)
- Continents: 7 (Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia)
- Mean Radius: 6371.0 km
- Axial Tilt: 23,44°
Image Source: Wikipedia - License: Public Domain (thanks to NASA)
Our solar system consists of
1 star (Sun) and 8 planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune).
- 1 AU (astronomical unit) is roughly the distance between Earth and the Sun (about 150 million kilometres).
- The space probe Voyager 1 was launched by the NASA in 1977 and is meanwhile (autumn 2015) about 133 AU away from Earth.